25 Ways To Practice Gratitude
1. Every morning when you wake up, stretch your arms open wide and say, “Thank you universe!”
2. Make a point to write down loved ones birthdays, anniversaries, etc. and celebrate them
3. Practice (and exhibit) patience, even when you’re in a hurry, especially when someone is providing you a service
4. Write thank you notes for everything! (100 reasons to write thank you notes)
5. Practice mindful eating, which includes acknowledging that you’re appreciative for the food in front of you
6. Keep a Gratitude/Happy Journal (see below for tips on how to)
7. Share what’s on your gratitude lists publicly or at least with people close to you and encourage them to keep their own lists
8. In addition to making a daily list of things you’re grateful for, make a list of 100 things you’re overall lucky to have in your life
9. Leave a huge tip for someone who gave you exceptional service
10. Share your talents with others that you’re lucky enough to have
11. Put your phone down when you’re with someone in person and be grateful for the in person interaction
12. Take my free e-course on gratitude
13. Make a list of what you love about someone and give it to them as a gift – I recently got 40 people who love my friend to write down what they love about her and printed it out to turn into an album and she loved it
14. Give genuine compliments, especially unique ones
15. Leave a good review online for a business/service you enjoyed (they help!)
16. Throw away litter that you create or that you see to thank the Earth for being a beautiful space for us to live
17. Write down, say out loud, and post up gratitude affirmations
18. Audibly say thank you when money comes into your PayPal account, you get your payroll check, or direct deposit notification
19. Focus on what you have instead of what you lack; “Celebrate what you’ve already got!”
20. Pick a time period and try not to complain for that entire chunk of time — how long can you go?
21. Have a party to celebrate life (try one of these 100 reasons)
22. Say thank you when people provide a new perspective on a topic or teach you something
23. Remember there are so many amazing things about life (like these 50 reasons)
24. Send a text to people you love to thank them for being them and/or for being in your life
25. Say “Thank You” to everyone throughout your day; cashiers, toll booth operators, people who hold the door for you, someone who compliments your outfit, a coworker who hands you some papers… everyone!
Well done! I thought I was the only person who really practiced a lot of this stuff. It’s great to see something out here with focus on appreciating so much that we do have. Seeing this is a nice reminder of things I’ve done previously and letting me know, “You were doing something right.”
And, of course, thank YOU for this and all that you do. So many entries that you’ve put together helps so very much!
Hi, you don’t have to publish this comment, but may I have a copy of the entirety of my original comments on this entry for my own self-reflection? I didn’t save it at the time but I cared about it. Thanks.