Today is Celebrate Your Unique Talents Day! Talents are such a weird thing. They take tons of practice, focus, and dedication, and we all have the potential to have at least one talent. If you practiced doing something for an hour every day, you are bound to become an expert at it. So if you’re thinking to yourself right now, “I don’t have any talents”, I have two things to say to you. 1) You’re probably not being honest with yourself. There is definitely something you’re already good at. 2) Pick something to become great at, and go do it!
As I say this, though, there aren’t many things that I’m an expert at. I try my hand at a lot of different things, but there isn’t really one thing that I’m better at than the rest. Either way, though, today is about celebrating your unique talents, so I’m going to make a list! These are things that I consider myself to be really good at:
- Leaving glitter in whatever environment I’m in
- Knowing the rules (and loopholes) in the US Postal Service
- Typing quickly on the keyboard
- Spotting yellow among other colors
- Dancing on tables or other non-floor surfaces
- Drinking yellow Gatorade really fast
- Quoting the shows “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”, “Friends”, and “Arrested Development” throughout my day (and finding plot holes within episodes)
- Hyper-extending my elbows
- Making mix CDs
- Not getting caught doing street art
- Hoarding paper products
- Wrapping a towel around my hair after showering
- Getting inspired and motivated when I should be sleeping
- Rapping Lil’ Kim’s part in “Lady Marmalade”
- Doing projects/making gifts in bulk
- Being the first person to take my shoes off at events
- Sobering up before anyone else
- Finding excuses to dress up (and purchase balloons)
- Planning more activities than it’s possible to do
- Knitting without looking
There are two videos I want to share on this topic. The first is 10 Unusual Talents which includes strange things people can physically do, like stripping coconuts with your teeth and burping at 110 decibels. If I’m being honest, though, the last few kind of grossed me out. The second video is from Jenna Marbles, entitled “Things I’m Awesome At.” It’s a nice dose of positivity and self love from someone who usually focuses on just being funny. She does a good job of thinking of things that many people wouldn’t even consider to be “talents”.
What are you good at? I would love to know what your specific talents are. Is anyone out there the world’s fastest shoe-lacer-upper? Can anyone find four leaf clovers with very little effort?