5 Ways To Remain Sustainable Through Your Skincare Routine
Are you looking for ways to be consistent with your eco-friendly skincare routine? Sticking to new habits can be hard, but it’s not impossible! So, here are 5 ways to help you remain sustainable through your skincare routine.
1. Remind yourself why you are doing it.
Remain sustainable through your skincare routine by reminding yourself why you are doing it in the first place. Your reasons should help you stay consistent even if you feel like slipping back to your old habits. Here are a few ways to remind yourself.
Write Them Down
Writing down your reasons helps you remember them easier. When you write, your brain ends up processing information in a more detailed manner. Information is then easily stored in your memory.
Make Them Visible
Make your reasons visible. Write them on a piece of paper, and then place the note somewhere you will often see it (like your bathroom mirror).
Share your reasons with family and friends. When you put your reasons out there, you are making other people witnesses to your goals. This will help you remember them better and encourage you to be accountable.
2. Find a Support Group.
Remaining sustainable on your own can be daunting. There is no one to help you, guide you, and motivate you. And when you fall, no one else will lift you back up but yourself.
Fortunately, you don’t have to go through this journey alone. There are people who share the same goals as you. And they can be your support group who will:
- Understand what you are going through
- Help you stay consistent
- Guide you towards your goals
- Motivate you to keep going
- Remind you of your purpose
- Inspire you to be better
3. Be updated with environmental issues.
Another great way to remain sustainable is by studying and staying up-to-date with environmental issues. Don’t forget, the environment is the only place we have. If we do not take care of it, we will suffer too.
Here are some environmental issues you will often hear about:
- Food waste
- Plastic pollution
- Biodiversity loss
- Air pollution
- Global warming
- Food and water insecurity
- Melting ice caps
Sadly, these issues are not new. They have been existing for many years, and they continue to worsen as time passes. We all need to do something about them before it’s too late.
Once you truly understand these issues, keeping a sustainable skincare routine suddenly becomes easier. You will also develop a desire to do more and encourage others to do the same. After all, taking care of the planet is part of your responsibilities.
4. Be kinder to yourself.
We tend to be much harder on ourselves than other people. And it can take a great toll on us. When we beat ourselves up, it keeps us from achieving our goals. As the saying goes, “You are your own worst enemy.”
But you can avoid this by treating yourself kindly:
- Accept the fact that you will make mistakes along the way.
- Don’t dwell too much on your mistakes.
- Learn to forgive yourself.
- Stop being too critical.
- Give yourself chances.
- Get back up when you fall.
- Respect yourself.
- Celebrate every achievement, no matter how small.
Once you practice being kinder to yourself, the whole process becomes more enjoyable. And the journey towards your goals becomes easier.
5. Do it one step at a time.
Do you know one of the most common mistakes that cause people to fail? Doing everything all at once. When you are all over the place, you often lose sight of your goals. it leads to negative consequences like frustration, desperation, procrastination, confusion, paralysis, and more.
The same applies to successfully keeping a sustainable skincare routine. When you try to practice a lot of tips all at the same time, it can backfire on you. And you will end up in a place you never planned to be in.
Avoid this mistake with your sustainable skincare routine by doing things one step at a time. Focus on what you can do and what fits your lifestyle. Here are some simple yet awesome ideas you can try:
- Remind yourself to conserve water. Every time you wash your face, turn the tap off when you scrub. Leaving it on for just a few seconds wastes more water than you think. To help you remember, leave a self-note near the sink where you often wash your face.
- Stick to reusable products. Replacing single-use products with reusable ones is easy. You won’t notice the difference, because they serve the same purpose anyway. Some reusable beauty products you can use for your skincare routine are LastRound zero-waste rounds, the Makeup Mitty makeup remover, and the Eve Lom exfoliating cloths.
- Set a skincare budget for yourself. Having a sustainable skincare routine is not just about using eco-friendly products. It’s also about using fewer products to produce less waste. And setting a budget for yourself will encourage you to maximize what you already have.
There you have it! With these simple tips, remaining sustainable through your skincare routine will finally be a breeze.