Nowadays, finding love online is totally normal. The popularity of online dating apps and sites has sky-rocketed in recent years, offering so many options for those looking for their soulmate, or even just someone to hang out with. To help you take the plunge and enjoy online dating to its full potential, take a read of our following recommendations to help you get the best out of your profile, and your matches and find the right online dating community for you:
Choose the right dating site or app
First of all, it is essential to pick a dating site that aligns with what you’re looking for. Many platforms exist: some are general and aimed at everyone, while others are specialized according to age criteria, niche preferences, or the types of relationships that people like. Here are some elements to take into account to make the right choice for you:
- The functionalities offered: Check that the platform has the necessary features you want in a dating app. Do you want to chat, play games, or even livestream? Make sure it has everything you want to find those new connections.
- Security: Make sure the site protects your data and has measures in place to combat fake profiles.
- The price: if you choose a site with payment features, make sure you understand the services offered and that it’s great value for money for your price range and what you want.
Create an attractive and complete profile
Once you have chosen a platform that has everything you want, it is time to create your profile. Now the fun really begins! Here are our tips to maximize your chances of matching with daters who fit you:
- Choose a quality profile photo: Opt for a recent photo that highlights you and brings out your personality traits. We also recommend additional photos that show different sides of your life and interests – don’t be afraid to showcase your hobbies!
- Fill in all the profile fields: Whether it’s age, interests, or even height – fill in as many details as possible to give daters the clearest picture of who you are. Share a real description of yourself, what you enjoy, and what you’re looking for. Be honest – it will help spark interest for the right people.
- Take advantage of all of the features: For example, some sites use personality tests or in-app games to assess your compatibility with other daters. These can increase the chances of your making genuine connections.
Creating an appealing and complete profile is not just about showcasing your personal details but also understanding and expressing your unique dating preferences. For example, a recent study by #Dating showcased seasonal dating preferences from their users using data from one of their in-app games.
For instance, some of their Christmas data showed that 57% opt for a peaceful stroll in the woods rather than navigating a bustling Christmas market. Additionally, 55% enjoy giving gifts more than receiving them, and 54% choose store-bought presents. These extra details not only provide a glimpse into someone’s preferences but also serve as excellent conversation starters!
Remember, as you create your profile, choosing a quality profile photo, and filling in essential details are vital steps. Make sure you utilize all of the app’s features to enhance your profile’s appeal, you should make it as unique to you as possible!
Stand out from the first messages
On dating platforms, there can be stiff competition for the attention of people you’re interested in. To maximize your chances of establishing contact, here are some tips for initial exchanges:
- Personalize your messages: Take the time to read the profile of the person you’re messaging and reference certain elements they mention to get the conversation going.
- Take care of your spelling: It may seem trivial, but a well-written message is often better received and taken seriously.
- Don’t be too insistent: If the person doesn’t respond immediately, wait before following up.
Although online love offers great opportunities, you should nevertheless remain vigilant to avoid unpleasant surprises. Here are some good things to remember when it comes to staying safe:
- Never communicate your personal information: For example, your address or telephone number during the first exchanges, especially if you have any doubts about the identity of your match.
- Trust your intuition: If something seems suspicious, ask for details, or don’t hesitate to report the profile directly to the dating site.
- Take the time to get to know the person before meeting: Talk using the site’s messaging system to keep a distance. Then, when you feel comfortable, you may want to speak via telephone or video call to ensure that you get along well.
- Organize the first meeting in a public place: Busy places such as a café, a park, or an exhibition for greater safety is a good place to start.
Remember – patience is key!
Finally, keep in mind that finding love online can take time. Don’t be discouraged if the first dates do not live up to your expectations. Persevere, be curious, and be open to discussions, and you will surely come across your perfect gem!