It’s kind of crazy how my period cycles have become so much more regular and in sync with the moon ever since I started practicing moon gatherings. Lately, it’s been almost to the hour that I start bleeding as soon as the new moon becomes 100% full in our time zone, and I’m PMSing hard on the full moon night. And I can totally tell when I skip my honoring of the moon, that my cycle can go back to its old cycle of 45 days which is more common with my PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). So crazy! If you’re not into moons, that’s totally legit. But I’m just saying I’ve absolutely seen a difference. There’s a reason that the cycle of the moon is the same as our general menstruation cycle. 🙂
Honestly the longer I go between cycles, the more intense my cramps become! And my left side hurts way more because that is where my cyst is. Anyone else out there with PCOS, Endometriosis, PMDD, or anything else related to menstruation/uterus struggles? I’m always surprised by how many people are silently struggling.
Anyway, obviously cramps are terrible. But I wanted to share a few tips for ways that you might not know or just a place you can bookmark and come back to when you’re feeling debilitated by them for some tricks to try to feel better!
15 Tips For Dealing With Cramps
1. Use a heating pad
2. Take a hot shower or bath (bonus points if you use Epsom Salts)
3. Take some sort of pain reliever, like Excedrin, Advil, Aleve, Midol, Meftal Spas, CBD, etc.
4. Set times for pain treatment so you don’t accidentally go too long with gaps and end up in pain again
5. Drink tons of water
6. Avoid salty foods
7. Nap as much as your schedule allows you to
8. Use calming essential oils like Lavender
9. Get up and walk around (movement helps, even if it sucks at first)
10. Try giving yourself some self-massage (focus on the back and belly areas)
11. Eat chocolate (specifically dark)
12. Elevate your knees and/or feet
13. Drink a little Gatorade or other sports drink for the electrolytes (it has what plants crave)
14. Try foods and supplements with B1, Magnesium, Ginger, and/or Omega-3
15. Try various relaxation techniques like meditation, breathing, mindfulness, etc.
Tips! My Uncustomary Babes Membership group has meditations, guides for essential oils to lessen anxiety/stress, bi-weekly moon guides, and other educational resources on mindfulness, relaxation, and so much more!
Photo: Maura Housley