Everything You Need To Know About Holistic Medicine
The general populace does not seem to know very much about holistic medicine. In fact, many would say that there is actually a stigma surrounding the culture, background and practices of holistic branches of medicine. Some people do not even bother to do thorough and in-depth research before they make their judgements. Written in this article are some basic things you need to know about holistic medicine:
What is Holistic Medicine?
Holistic Medicine is a branch of healing that focuses on spirituality and the whole of the person, their spirit and emotions included in the ultimate pursuit of perfect wellness and health. There is an active philosophy surrounding Holistic Medicine that briefly states that an individual can gain perfect health through the proper balance in life.
Holistic Medicine also preaches several principles next to their extensive philosophy. Much like conventional medicinal practices, Holistic Medicine has goals to eliminate, prevent and treat diseases and just generally take care of their patients’ well-being. According to the American Holistic Health Association, practitioners will take the following into account:
- Emotional status
- Physical status
The above is much more inclusive than conventional medicine to some as it focuses on the spiritual as well as the physical. They try to find the root causes of the underlying or surface problem instead of just trying to treat the ailment itself.
Does it have any history?
Holistic medicine is actually part of an ancient health care system. It has actually been practiced for hundreds upon hundreds of years – in reality, it is much older and traditional than western medicine. As a sect of traditional Chinese medicine, holistic care was developed a staggering 4,000 years ago by a Buddhist monk.
What treatments does Holistic Medicine actually offer?
Holistic Medicine can offer many varying treatments, as the range of ailments and problems the practice treats can be vast. Below are just a small sample of the treatment they offer:
- Patient education is a vital treatment within the medicine. They give information on the best kind of lifestyles and self-care practices. This could take the shape of anything, such as counselling, exercise, relationship problems and spiritual therapy.
- Alternative therapies are also always an offer or treatment with Holistic Medicine. Alternative medicine includes practices such as massage therapy, homeopathy, chiropractic care as well as acupuncture.
- Many Holistic practitioners will also offer herbal medicines as well.
How do I know I have gone to a good Holistic Care Provider?
There are several things to be on the lookout for when searching for a good Holistic Care Provider:
- Do your research: As with any medical professional or doctor’s appointment, it is always recommended to do your research. It is best to find out as much as you can about the person’s experience, training, specialties and any connections with local hospitals and doctors’ clinics. Also try to find out if your potential Holistic carer is certified by either a Holistic board or even a credible medical board.
- Consider your own feelings: Just like with doctors, when trusting anyone with your body it is vital that you are comfortable and feel safe with them. Make sure your new provider is respectful and open about discussing your concerns.
- Do not just go to any practitioner: You would not go to a back-alley doctor’s office, or one operating out of the back of a van, so you should never go to a Holistic Clinic if they do not look reputable, clean and safe.